Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Review: Dark and Deepest Red by Anna-Marie McLemore

Title: Dark and Deepest Red
Author: Anna-Marie McLemore
Page Count: 320
Rating: 3.5/5
Synopsis (Found on Goodreads):
Summer, 1518. A strange sickness sweeps through Strasbourg: women
dance in the streets, some until they fall down dead. 
Five centuries later, a pair of red shoes seal to Rosella Oliva’s feet, making
her dance uncontrollably. They draw her toward a boy who knows the dancing
fever’s history better than anyone: 
Emil, whose family was blamed for the fever five hundred years ago. 

Thoughts:
I never knew there was a real dancing plague that the fairy tale was based on.
I enjoyed the transitions between both time periods. There is LGBTQ+ represented
and it is easy to follow along. There is also cultural diversity that adds this extra layer
to the fantasy. 
I wasn't dying to pick this back up after I read the initial hundred pages but I am
glad I saw it through. Although the diversion of time periods was well written it
made it hard to grow attached to just one character. I`m hoping to find more
retellings or historical events that have been written as young adult novels.

TTFN,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment