Friday, August 17, 2018

Review: Fresh Ink

Title: Fresh Ink: An Anthology
Author: Lamar Giles (editor), Nicola Yoon, Malinda Yo, et al.
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers, August 14, 2018
Pages:208
Synopsis(from GoodReads):
Careful--you are holding fresh ink. And not hot-off-the-press, still-drying-in
-your-hands ink. Instead, you are holding twelve stories with endings that are still
being written--whose next chapters are up to you.

Because these stories are meant to be read. And shared.
Rating: 4 /5
I’m gonna be honest, I’ve never read or heard of the authors whose stories are in
this book other than Nicola Yoon and Melissa de la Cruz. That is something that I like
about anthologies; you get the chance to read something from authors you may not
know and the stories usually leave you wanting an entire book rather than a short story.
I gave Fresh Ink a lower rating only because a few of the stories were harder for
me to get through than others. Not because I didn’t like them it was just harder for me
to relate to something in the story.
My favorite story in Fresh Ink was actually from an author I’ve heard of but
have not read before. One Voice:  A Something In Between Story by Melissa de la
Cruz. It addresses how people will often judge and threaten someone over something
they have no control over like their race, or the color of their skin.
Another story that I enjoyed a lot was the opening act so to speak; Eraser Tattoo
by Jason Reynolds, it was very sweet and left me wanting to what was next for Shay
and Dante.

Each of these stories address some things that are not always seen in a positive
light in today’s society.

No comments:

Post a Comment