Friday, January 11, 2019

Review: Fire & Heist by Sarah Beth Durst

Author: Sarah Beth Durst
Published On: December 4, 2018
Page Count: 304pgs
Rating: 3.5/5
Synopsis (Found on Goodreads):
In Sky Hawkins's family, leading your first heist is a major milestone--even more so
than learning to talk, walk, or do long division. It's a chance to gain power and
acceptance within your family, and within society. But stealing your first treasure
can be complicated, especially when you're a wyvern--a human capable of
turning into a dragon.

Embarking on a life of crime is never easy, and Sky discovers secrets about her mother,
who recently went missing, the real reason her boyfriend broke up with her, and a
valuable jewel that could restore her family's wealth and rank in their community.

With a handpicked crew by her side, Sky knows she has everything she needs to
complete her first heist, and get her boyfriend and mother back in the process. But
then she uncovers a dark truth about were-dragon society--a truth more valuable and
dangerous than gold or jewels could ever be.

I rather enjoyed this read, but I think it would be more suited for a slightly younger
audience than myself. It was a much faster read for me than I originally thought it
was and I noticed that I was taking the time to make sure I read at least a chapter or
two before I went to bed. I hadn’t been reading like that for a while and I remembered
how nice it is to read for a bit and then go to bed.
I really liked how we got to see Sky experience family life, without her mom, school
without her normal friend group or her boyfriend, and her finally being allowed to do
some more adult wyvern things, such as her dad teaching her about the security systems
of their home. All while she is planning to pull off her first heist, with or without the help of
her father and older brothers.

~Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment