Sunday, January 7, 2018

An Enchantment of Ravens: Review

An Enchantment of Ravens
Margaret Rogerson
8hr 45min
Published On: 9/26/17
Publisher: Simon & Schuster


This was such a fast listen. I am sad that it is a standalone. I`m not a huge fairy type person but this
one is awesome. I follow someone on instagram who in October was doing the “inktober” thing where
you draw something every day. Well she was doing this awesome character colorings and gushing
about the book. I figure I had an extra audible credit so I`d give it a listen. I`m glad I did.


This was an audiobook for me and I do see myself buying a physical copy in the future. I did take an
interesting book photo with a copy of the cover. It didn't turn out the way I really wanted it to but I
think I will give it another go later on this year.  Let me know what you think.





The story behind Enchantment of Ravens is interesting. Fae folk cannot create-craft- anything. So
they go to humans to have things made for them. Our main character-Isobel- is an artist. A painter
with a talent of extraordinary taste. She is asked to paint the portrait of the Autumn Prince-Rook-a
fae who hasn't been seen in years. Things happen and they go on the run and have to defeat the Alder
King.


Overall the narrator paints this gorgeous scene throughout the novel that kept me listening. The story
can be slow at times but with the vivid imagery it keeps a fairly even pace. Some of the characters are
instantly dislikeable but it's important to remember that they are side characters. Isobel and Rook
have an interesting dynamic and it was great the see them grow closer. Rogerson does an amazing
job sticking to classic fairy lore of how fae act and treat humans. Rook has a brooding personality that
makes him a bit frustrating but the fierce feelings he has towards Isobel are tangible.


What Fae type books would you recommend?


TTFN,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment