Sunday, June 2, 2019

Review: The Blood Spell

Title: The Blood Spell
Author:CJ Redwine
Published On: 2/12/19
Page Count: 438pgs
Rating: 5/5
Synopsis (Found on Goodreads):
Blue de la Cour has her life planned: hide the magic in her blood and continue trying
to turn metal into gold so she can help her city’s homeless. But when her father is
murdered and a cruel but powerful woman claims custody of Blue and her property,
one wrong move could expose her—and doom her once and for all.

Out of the four books in this world I think this one has to be my favorite.
Kellan wasn't my favorite human when we were introduced to him in The Traitor Prince.
However once there was some backstory I started to understand him a bit more.
Blue was by far the most interesting character alongside Nessa. Nessa did steal
pieces of my heart throughout the novel and I hope to read more about her and
some adventures in future novels.

I`m starting to fall in love with any book that involves Alchemy. Blue uses
alchemy as a way to help others not for personal gain. I also loved how much
botanicals came into play when crafting spells and brews.

A super highlight of this novel is the fact Nessa using a form of sign language
in order to communicate. There are some in the court who have taken the time to
earn the language while others refuse to do so. This whole scenario relates so well
with real life. I had a friend in elementary school that did sign language and I knew I
wanted to get to know them so I asked to take classes. This sparked my love of all
languages. I took ASL classes for 9 years and jump at using that skill any chance I
can. Having that sort of representation in a YA novel is fascinating. It was well written
and I look forward to what else this series will bring.

All of CJ`s Ravenspire novels can be read separately however I feel like this one
you really should read the other novels to fully enjoy the plot.

TTFN,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment