Saturday, May 9, 2020

Review: A Phoenix First Must Burn

Title: A Phoenix First Must Burn
Author: Edited by Patrice Caldwell
Narrator: York Whitaker
Audio Length: 10hr 31min
Rating: 3.5/5
Synopsis (Found on Goodreads):
Evoking BeyoncĂ©’s Lemonade for a teen audience, these authors who are truly
Octavia Butler’s heirs, have woven worlds to create a stunning narrative that
centers Black women and gender nonconforming individuals.
A Phoenix First Must Burn
will take you on a journey from folktales retold to futuristic societies and
everything in between.

Thoughts:
Anthologies are always a hit or miss but out of sixteen stories I enjoyed twelve of them.
I`ll preface this with I know I am not the audience this novel was intended for.
With that said though it was a window into a culture I wish to know more of.

Each story I enjoyed was from an author that I wanted to read a novel from.
Now that I got a taste of their style I look forward to diving into their full works. 

My favorite story was “Tender-Headed” by Danny Lore

TTFN,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment